Thursday, September 24, 2009

Laura's Glovey Column One Short Latte and a Short Dress to Go Please…

My first night out in Hollywood this summer I wore a pair of white jeans and I never felt so out of place. Luckily the top I was wearing had some sparkles so I’m sure some people forgave me for being underdressed…or should I say: too covered up. Too bad for me, I was a blonde sky-scraper amongst barely-there dresses and earrings that would put a whole Christmas tree to shame. With my head sticking above the crowd I felt like a carnival attraction and I wondered if the men were thinking: “why is she wearing pants to a club?”

Time for a confession: everybody always has a specific part of their body that they like less compared to the rest. It’s the part that you focus on when looking at models in magazines. Some people will sigh and say: “Oh just look at those full lips” or “look at those abs”. I say: “look at those legs”. I don’t hate my legs, I just prefer hiding them because they just aren’t anywhere near Heidi Klum’s stellar pair.

My friend shouted over the crowd: “I told you so, we have to go out in things way shorter than we’re used to in Europe”. Before I could even start about my lack of leggy confidence, my friend told me to look around at all the legs and notice that they were often far from perfect but the girls were dancing away and having a great time anyway…and their self-confidence lured in men like magnets. I suddenly woke up from my leg-obsession while staring at all these bare legs and confident party-goers around me. I thought: ‘life’s too short to complain about inexistent calve-muscles…I want to be part of this Hollywood sexiness!’

The next day we immediately went shopping for L.A. style party clothing. After a short latte we went hunting for short dresses. I ended up buying over 3 short dresses and 2 short skirts in one shop. One of my favorite picks was this little black dress that made me laugh in my changing room because I couldn’t even bend over to grab something from my bag without my underwear showing. As I walked out of my changing room my friend yelled ecstatically that she knew exactly to which club I was going to wear this dress. Her overwhelming enthusiasm (and of course the short little dress she was trying on) drew me to the cash register in no time. We just looked at each other with big smiles and said: hey, we’re in L.A.! We should enjoy not having to wear jeans to clubs like so many places in Europe.

I’m proud to say I’ve worn the dress twice already and in the meantime I’ve bought many a cute outfit that would make L.A. club owners proud. It was such a great experience to regain some self-confidence by dressing differently and not having to care about certain imperfections because there is nothing prettier than when someone wears something with utter elegance and self-confidence!

xoxo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 


No comments: