Monday, February 23, 2009

Laura's Glovey Column: Ready, set...

Laura studied both fashion and media communications in the Netherlands. She has always been interested in fashion, lifestyle and human behavior. Her column is meant to inspire its readers on style and fashion. On a bi-weekly basis, Laura will provide you with fun opinions on a fashionable and elegant life.


Ready, set…where are my favorite jeans?

Even an organized person like me has trouble in the morning. I can never seem to decide on an outfit the night before work starts the next day. Either I’m just too lazy or I figure I’ll choose an outfit in the morning. Well, apart from not being able to find my bicycle keys and remote control, I always have trouble finding that key component of my outfit.

One morning I was running around with curlers in my hair looking for my keys and remote and eating breakfast in between (I can never seem to get up early enough) and I couldn’t find my favorite jeans. The dark blue ones that go with any outfit and look smart casual at any event. I had five more minutes before I had to go and I had to grab my other jeans that just didn’t work with the outfit.
For days I kept looking for my jeans, asking my friends if I had left them at their place or when they last saw me in them. A growing sense of loss took over my stomach…how could I be so careless with my things? Or how could I care so much about a pair of jeans?

Well, one morning I decided to wear this exquisite cashmere top with matching belt and gloves and still had to decide on the trousers when my phone rang. It was this guy I was hoping for ages would call me and I was totally struck off-guard…I mumbled something about my favorite jeans being gone and hoping he wouldn’t think I was superficial when he said: “you mean those dark blue ones you wore to that party last Christmas?” Suddenly, I had been hit by two epiphanies, first of all, my jeans were at my parents’ house in France where we spent time after Christmas last year, and secondly, this guy must like me because who remembers a pair of jeans? Ok I confess, these jeans aren’t my favorite for nothing…I guess I might have to suggest to him to go get my jeans in France together!

So remember that it is essential, for any man or woman, to have at least two or three pairs of favorite jeans…you never know what the morning will bring and, trust me, you want to be prepared!

No comments: